A Look Ahead to December 2016

December looks to be one of the best months for movies in a long time. The year of 2016 has been disappointing movie wise to say the least. But this December has some movies that just might be the saving grace for the year as a whole. From big blockbusters to much hyped indies, these are my most anticipated movies for December of 2016 (in order based on release date):



Man Down
I hadn’t even heard of this movie until I sat down to watch Allied this past weekend. And I can’t get some of the images from that trailer out of my mind. Man Down stars Shia LaBeouf (Transformers), Jai Courtney (Suicide Squad), and Gary Oldman (The Dark Knight). Based on the trailer it will chronicle the life of a soldier postwar and how he deals with the consequences of his actions from the battlefield.

Release Date:
December 2, 2016

Nocturnal Animals
An all-star cast, including Jake Gyllenhaal (Nightcrawler), Amy Adams (Arrival), Michael Shannon (Man of Steel), Aaron Taylor-Johnson (Kick-Ass), Isla Fisher (Now You See Me), and Armie Hammer (The Social Network), leads this thrilling drama following a “story inside a story.” Aside from the cast, much of the movie is a mystery to me and that’s how I would like to keep it. Buzz from the festival circuit is enough to make me excited for this movie.

Release Date:
December 9, 2016

Star Wars: Rogue One
The most obvious one on this list, Star Wars: Rogue One has all the makings of another classic in a galaxy far, far away. This past Sunday night only confirmed how much hype is behind the movie having both Fandango and Cinemark’s websites crashing as soon as presale tickets went online (luckily I was able to sneak in after only forty minutes of waiting). Seeing the plans of the Death Star being stolen sounds like a shallow idea for a movie but the talent on and off screen as well as the early trailers prove once again that the world of Star Wars is as lively and exciting as ever. I know I’ll see Rogue One twice if not more than that and that’s why it’s at the top of my most anticipated.

Release Date:
December 16

La La Land
A movie I’m surprised about how excited I am for is La La Land directed by Damien Chazelle of Whiplash fame, one of my favorite movies of 2014. I’m surprised due to the fact that this movie is a musical, a film genre I am not a huge fan of. Starring Ryan Gosling (Drive) and Emma Stone (Easy A and Superbad), La La Land has been garnering huge Oscar buzz and much critical acclaim. And I don’t even know that much about the plot. The trailers so far have done a good job of introducing the tone of the movie without spoiling any of the main plot points.

Release Date:
December 16, 2016

Assassin’s Creed
Hopefully the movie that will finally break the streak of bad video game movies, Assassin’s Creed visually looks like it could be just that film. With Michael Fassbender (X-Men Franchise) of and Mario Cotillard (The Dark Knight Rises), Assassin’s Creed should not fail from the talent involved in front of the screen. My worries lie behind the scenes within an unknown director in Justin Kurzel (MacBeth) and the writers of Allegiant involved. But the trailers did excite me enough to include this movie on the list.

Release Date:
December 21, 2016

Sing
Musical hits from the 1940s to the present day combined with an all-star cast look to make Sing one of the best animated movies of 2016, which is saying something based off the many incredible animated films we have gotten this year. Again the director, Garth Jennings (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy)
, has me a bit nervous because he has a small repertoire of films in his book but again the jokes and musical talent involved are at a high enough quality to make me excited for this movie.

Release Date:
December 21, 2016

Fences
Fences is one of the plays I read in my senior year of high school. It was one of the few works that I enjoyed in high school and it’s exciting for me to see it translate to the big screen. The trailers show that both Denzel Washington (Training Day) and Viola Davis (Prisoners) will deliver powerhouse performances and could be just great enough to take home the Oscar gold in February.

Release Date:
December 25, 2016




One of the most exciting things for me about all these upcoming movies is the number of unknown directors helming the projects. Most of these movies feature directors with only one maybe two movies to their credit and hopefully these movies will all be good enough to make each one of them a household name.

Comment with your most anticipated down below and give the blog a follow.


No comments:

Post a Comment